ParticleTrap™ is a high precision, cleantech particle separation technology. It is an open, filterless solution made up of several modules, each having an angle in the opposite direction of the module it is joined with. When a flow is introduced the various angles induce vortices. The vortices force particles downwards to the lowest point in each module for partial sorting and collection.
In the image you can see a simulation of the cyclonic movement patterns within a ParticleTrap™.
It effectively separates particles in any type of flow such as in Air, Gas and Liquids. The flow starts from the bottom and passes several modules, separating the material into smaller and smaller particles.
A pre-study at Örebro University using computer simulations returned results of near 100 percent separation with a basic construction with only 3 modules. It was later confirmed in a validation test at AstraZeneca Operation, Sweden.
This image shows a simulation of the cyclonic movement of particles in 3D. The application shown here is simplified but gives you an idea of how particles move along within the modules.
ParticleTrap™ works by biomimicry, which is an imitation of natural systems, models and elements of nature that will help solve some of the complex human problems we face today.
We strongly believe that ParticleTrap™ will diminish a wide-range of industrial impact while simultaneously increase companies recycling capacity and profit.
ParticleTrap™ earned a gold medal at the Eureka Innovation Challenge at Innova in Brussels and are nominated to several cleantech awards.
ParticleTrap™ is environmentally friendly and require little to no extra energy input.
Example: Siphoning and Thermal energy is sometimes all that is required for ParticleTrap™ to function. Separated particles can be processed and reused.
The need for maintenance is minor and it operates under low pressure saving both time and energy.
Our partners get access to more information by signing Non-Disclosure Agreements when initiating a partnership. Partners get to test this patented technology for a set duration of time in their own field of industry for evaluation. After this period partners can either license or buy patent rights for specific business areas and locations.
Questions and Answers
Q: Is ParticleTrap™ suitable for continuous industrial applications, and how are solids removed?
A: The technology is well suited for continuous industrial applications.
The removal process depends on what type of material is being processed. In most situations it is done automatically with vortices, gravitation and the angle of the baffle plates forcing the separated material downwards towards the lowest point for emptying. Removal of particles occurs at the lowest point in each module and is preferably done automatically with control equipment.
Q: How does ParticleTrap™ handle dead spots?
A: Dead spots do not impede the function of ParticleTrap™. Dead spots fill up and remain a certain size in a constant flow situation and are variable in an alternating flow. These do not need to be removed because they do not affect the function. In really difficult situations such as with extremely dry dust material that is subject to electrostatic discharges grounding the equipment might be necessary and a vibration equipment can be added, to prevent fire hazards.
Q: What about high friction material?
A: Various surface coating can be applied if working with difficult material such as high friction material or small size particles that can otherwise get stuck in the pores of the constituent material.
Q: What about structural abrasion in high velocity particle flows?
A: Wear down of the constituent material is unavoidable in high velocity particle flows. In simulations one can make calculations as where to amplify the material. Either in hardening (ex. Manganese steel or Ceramic filler) or softening (ex. Rubber).
Q: Will ParticleTrap™ replace Cyclone Dust Collectors and Electrostatic Precipitators?
A: Yes, ParticleTrap™ will replace Cyclone Dust Collectors and ESP’s in most situations. Essentially ParticleTrap™ is a multi-cyclone that use less energy and has a substantially lower manufacturing cost. Additionally it has a higher separation efficiency, sorts by fraction, requires less maintenance and has a low energy consumption. ParticleTrap™ can also safeguard Cyclones and ESP-equipment when needed.
Q: Are there any capture limitations based on concentration and particle size?
A: ParticleTrap™ is either dimensioned to particle size and flow rates or the flow is customised to concentration and particle sizes. In specific cases where the concentration may come in large bursts a warning system can be added. It can then be programmed to increase the flow rate temporarily.
Q: How is Capture efficiency determined?
A: The capture efficiency is based on flow rate. By analysing the particle size and concentration a specific design can be made to meet the customers needs.
Q: What's unique about ParticleTrap™?
- Static construction which is highly dynamic in its operation, the flow can be alternating heavily but the function remains
- Very simple construction, low manufacturing cost. Can be built in any type of material, dependent on what application it is for. Some examples are; stainless steel, glass, plastics, glass fiber and more. Add-on modules can be added and clusters can be made for increased efficiency
- Replaces marketed filter- & separation techniques that are in use today. It filters, sorts and enriches in Air, Gas and Liquids without any static filters
- Can be placed close to the source because it is not temperature dependent, temperature fluctuations does not alter the function
- Works under very low pressures which makes it more energy efficient than traditional equipment and it even works with extremely high pressures where there is such a demand
- Less need for maintenance in general. Reduced service and maintenance costs due to the fact that it can easily be automated
- Handles separation of fine particles with difficult properties
- Sorts by fraction ex; 1µ, 2µ, 3µ, 4µ and so on, which is highly beneficial in some industries
Q: Which industries would benefit from using ParticleTrap™ for their separation needs?
- Mining industry, water purification processes, sorting and enrichment of minerals
- Pulp & Paper industry, sorting of paper fibers, water purification
- Recycling Industry, rare earth metals from electronic waste can be separated and sorted
- Biotech/Pharmaceutical industry, reducing pharmaceutical waste and energy consumption
- Energy production, recycling elements present in the periodic table, reduces hazardous waste from combustion processes
- Water purification, purification of sea water separating sand and removing bacteria and other particles
- Livestock production, filters inlet/outlet air, dries biogas and filters waste water
- Oil- and gas industry, separation and sorting of wax, sand, water and collection of gas
- Workshops, removes particles such as dust and aerosol mixtures in inlet/outlet air
- Health, filters allergens as a medical application in breathing apparatuses and hospital rooms